[Zope] Character-set woes (possibly OT)

Mark Barratt markb@textmatters.com
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:07:07 +0100

I'm having trouble understanding how Zope accepts, processes and
transfers character data - or more precisely what the character-set
rules and pitfalls are in a workflow in which

. writers work in Word (or something)
. copy is pasted or typed into a Zope form field via a rich-text browser
widget
. the field is filtered (to remove Word-HTML junk markup and characters
we know might blow up MySQL) via a Python external method
. into (non-UTF) MySQL
. and back into a zope variable and redisplayed.

Presumably character-set use/'tolerance' is relevant in
WP application
Browser
Rich-text widget
Python
Zope
MySQL

...and their interactions?

Has anyone any experience or know of any information sources which might
help me understand/control this workflow so that users have some chance
of seeing what they thought they input?

Thanks

--
Mark Barratt