[Zope] Character-set woes (possibly OT)

Mark Barratt markb@textmatters.com
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:04:30 +0100

Chris Withers wrote:
> Mark Barratt wrote:
>
>> Has anyone any experience or know of any information sources which
>> might help me understand/control this workflow so that users have some
>> chance of seeing what they thought they input?
>

> I'd have a search through the list archives for "character encoding".
>
> That said, if you have specific exception types, values and tracebacks,
> the list may be able to help...

Thanks, Chris

Pragmatic solution: define the character-set as iso-8859-1 in the page
containing the form which in turn contains the rich-text-editing widget,
and in pages which display the results. Windows clients ensure that what
goes into the entry field conforms to that character-set, whether it's
typed or added by a paste operation from, say, Word. Zope and MySQL seem
to pass through the results cleanly. Not yet tested on Mac clients.

Remaining issues: UTF-8-encoded Unicode breaks big-time. I know this is
an issue for MySQL, and it seems to be an issue for Zope also.

--
Mark Barratt
Text Matters