[Zope] Zope 2.7.0b1 Released

Andreas Heckel andreas@easyleading.org
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:30:36 +0200

Hi Chris,

ZConfig causes this dep.
Here is the traceback I get if no pyXML installed:

epiam:/var/lib/Zope2.7/bin# ./runzope
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/Zope2.7/lib/python/Zope/Startup/run.py", line 27, in ?
 run()
File "/usr/local/Zope2.7/lib/python/Zope/Startup/run.py", line 21, in
run
 opts.realize(doc="Sorry, no option docs yet.")
File "/usr/local/Zope2.7/lib/python/zdaemon/zdoptions.py", line 257, in
realize
 self.load_schema()
File "/usr/local/Zope2.7/lib/python/zdaemon/zdoptions.py", line 298, in
load_schema
 self.schema = ZConfig.loadSchema(self.schemafile)
File "/usr/local/Zope2.7/lib/python/ZConfig/loader.py", line 36, in
loadSchema
 return SchemaLoader().loadURL(url)
File "/usr/local/Zope2.7/lib/python/ZConfig/loader.py", line 70, in
loadURL
 return self.loadResource(r)
File "/usr/local/Zope2.7/lib/python/ZConfig/loader.py", line 134, in
loadResource
 self.registry, self)
File "/usr/local/Zope2.7/lib/python/ZConfig/schema.py", line 43, in
parseResource
 xml.sax.parse(resource.file, parser)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/xml/sax/__init__.py", line 30, in parse
 parser = make_parser()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/xml/sax/__init__.py", line 93, in
make_parser
 raise SAXReaderNotAvailable("No parsers found", None)
xml.sax._exceptions.SAXReaderNotAvailable: No parsers found

My setup:

Debian Woody

stock Python from source because there is no stable 2.2.3 Debian package
!? (Python-2.2.3.tgz)
I applied no special args ... did just configure/make/make install

Zope-2.7.0-b1.tgz (configure --prefix=/var/lib/Zope2.7)

After installing PyXML-0.8.2.tar.gz Zope2.7 works fine.

Regards Andreas

Chris McDonough wrote:

> Hmmm.. that's probably because I didn't know it was. ;-)
>
> But that may be a reflection of the fact that I use a Python 2.2.3 built
> from source.  When I do so, the xml libraries get built for me as part
> of the Python build and installed into Python's lib/python2.2/xml
> package.  I use RH Linux 7.3, and I have expat-1.95.2-2 and
> expat-devel-1.95.2-2 RPMs installed on the system.  I suspect that the
> Python build picks up on the expat libraries and headers that are part
> of these packages and builds pyexpat for me.  But if I didn't have expat
> installed when I built Python, I suspect I wouldn't get pyexpat built
> into my Python, which indeed appears like it would be a problem for TAL
> and the XML export/import machinery.
>
> The bizarre thing about this situation is that another version of
> pyexpat is installed into zopehome/Shared/DC/xml/pyexpat by Zope.  I
> don't really know the difference between this pyexpat and the pyexpat
> that gets installed by Python.
>
> Other than pyexpat, I know of no other dependencies on Python XML
> packages that Zope has.  That doesn't mean there aren't any though. ;-)
> What doesn't work for you if you don't install PyXML?
>
> FWIW, I must admit to never quite understanding the state of PyXML. I
> don't know whether it's now part of Python proper or parts of it are
> part of Python proper or what.  I wish it would just be put into Python
> wholesale.  But I've never needed to install it to "just run Zope".
> OTOH, to run something like ParsedXML, I've needed it.
>
> Any clues here would be nice.  I *think* I even used to know something
> about this sitation, but I've long since forgotten the details.  Since
> we've switched to only distributing source for UNIXlike platforms, this
> will become more of an issue and I'll need to understand the
> requirements again so I can document them.
>
> FWIW, the Windows build does explicitly include expat libraries.
>
> - C
>
> On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 19:19, Andreas Heckel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there is no hint in /doc/INSTALL.txt that pyXML
> > (http://pyxml.sourceforge.net) is also required ;-)
> >
> > Regards Andreas Heckel
> >

> > Chris McDonough wrote:
> > >
> > > Zope 2.7.0 represents a concentration on software configuration and
> > > installation improvement over older versions.  It requires Python 2.2.3.
> > >
> > > You may download Zope 2.7.0b1 from Zope.org:
> > >
> > >   http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.7.0b1/
> > >
> > >  Users should note that Python 2.2.3 is now the required platform.

Andreas Heckel                                  andreas@easyleading.org
LINUX is like a wigwam...no gates...no windows and an apache inside ;-)