[Zope] How to publish to a small group of users?

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:05:28 -0500

>>Group workspaces are coming in the next release of Plone, provided I
>>don't get hit by a bus or something.
>>
>>In the meantime (it shouldn't be long, however) you can install GRUF,
>>create a group of whomever you want, and create a folder owned by
>>(and/or accessible only by) that group. If you want a
>>different-than-default display or functionality, create a new Type as

>>copy of the Folder type and change its actions, probably to point at
>>customized or new pages. This is basically how the group workspaces
>>

>will
>

>>work, and is nothing you can't do by hand.
>>
>>             --jcc
>>It seems to me you have got the right solution but I don't understand
>>

>all what you tell me because I'm a Zope beginner. Could you please
>explain with details how to create a folder owned by a group? Is it a
>folder or a CMF Topic Object? I made a test with a folder but I can't
>see anything in my Plone interface...
>
>I don't understand what you mean by " create a new Type as a
>

>>copy of the Folder type and change its actions". Could you give me an
>>

>exemple?

TTP means Through the Plone, a tongue-in-cheek take on TTW. This means
"in the Plone interface".
ZMI means to do it in the Zope Management Interface. You know, like /manage

Operation 1: make a new type

ZMI: go to portal_types
... copy and paste Folder
... rename to something else (like GroupWorkspace)
... go to the Type, and change icons/names/etc
... go to Actions tab, and you can add/remove Actions
... to change the default view, add a folder_contents action and give it
an action of your own skin page
(skins can be created in portal_skins/custom. you might copy
folder_contents for this.)

Operation 2: make a group-owned folder.

TTP: Make a folder. (Or possibly whatever type you made earlier.)
ZMI: Change the ownership to the group. Go to security tab, click on
"local roles" link, and give the group the local role of Owner.

Anyone in the group can now act like owner of the folder. You can do a
similar thing with other/custom roles.

          --jcc