[Zope] Backing up Data.fs

Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:02:49 +0100

On Monday 02 June 2003 10:18, Peter Sabaini wrote:
> in the upcoming 2.6 edition of the zope book i (hopefully) covered this
> (http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/MaintainingZop
>e.stx).

That /etc/cron.daily/zbackup.cron script is dangerous in several ways. Think
of backup as a database operation  -  this script has no ACID.

rsync doesnt even give any performance advantage here. rsync is good if you
are doing backups remotely over ssh, but for local backups (like this script)
it cant beat "cp".

I strongly recommend DirectoryStorage if you want to keep daily backups like
this. It has a standard tool for creating local incremental backups as tar
files, or synchronising a remote replica of the storage. These tools are
ACID, and efficient. Unlike all the home-brew FileStorage schemes I have
seen.

--
Toby Dickenson
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson