[Zope] External methods & persistance and thread safety

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:32:32 -0700 (PDT)

Paul,
I'm not doing anything particularly fancy--I have a number of users, each
with a sandbox workspace in the local file system, not exposed in Zope.
I manage through the web editing of the sandbox along with validation of
the XML that's input, a bit of spell checking, strange character checking,
and the like.  Everything works out of the user's private space.  Inputs
are from CVS, commits are to CVS.

Most of the heavy lifting is done in External Methods rather than a
Product or by firing off a process and waiting for it to complete.
Given what I know about Zope scheduling (one thread at a time, GIU, etc) I
don't think it's threading--but it could be, particularly if there's
something strange in the SMP side of things.

Any thought on how to track down this heissenbug?  I've seen the effects
twice, but it always could be ascribed to user error.  The predecessor
system use ParsedXML and ran on a single processor system and occasionally
had similar problems which never got tracked down to a root cause.