[Zope] Using "Class-Hierarchies" in Zope

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 22:34:26 +0200

Andreas Pakulat wrote at 2003-6-5 15:28 +0200:
 > I've got a question regarding ZClasses and the building of
 > Hierarchies using them.
 >
 > For example I have ZClass A and the ZClasses B and C "derived" from A
 >
 > What does Zope do if I create a new Instance of B using
 > manage_addProduct['myproduct'].B_add(myparam). I know that the B_add
 > Script I created is called, but is also the A_add Script called,

No, it is not called.

 > or can
 > I call it in the B_add script,

You can, but almost surely it will not do what you expect
(it probably will create a *new* "A" instance, independent from
your "B" instance).

 , or do I have to reimplement all necessary
 > things from A_add in B_add?

You "A_add" probably contains 2 parts:

  1.  create a new "A" instance

  2.  initialize the new instance

Factor out part 2 (in a separate script inside your product).
Call it in both "A_add" and "B_add".

Note that when a ZClass "B" derives from a ZClass "A",
then both should be in the same product.
Otherwise, the relation between the two classes is lost
during export or distribution.

Dieter