[Zope] can't start zope after upgrade Please help !!

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Fri, 06 Jun 2003 13:18:20 -0500

>I use zope with a Debian testing/sarge.
>The last running version of zope was 2.6.1-4. The last upgrade proposed was
>2.6.1-7 . The post-install script of zope didn't work and the install process
>failed, but I tried to end the install process by hand...
>The other packages of the server are up to date.
>
>This new version of the zope package changes the location of apps, so I
>created a new instance (zopectl create), moved the data files to the new
>location /var/lib/zope/instance/default/var/ , restarted the server.
>
>The zope server seems to be running : the port 9173 is open and listening, and
>I can see the connection with netstat -ap when I try to connect it.
>
>The issue is that no page is served : when I ask for a page, I receive 0 byte
>in answer (the connection times out a _long_ time later).
>
>The /var/log/zope/default/Z2.log file is still empty. I don't see any error
>message. One zope process and several python2.1 processes are running.
>
>My production data are on this server and I don't wand to loose them... I have
>a copy of the data files before crash, but I don't know if I can reuse them.

I don't know how Debian packages Zope, but here's what I would do:

get the binary distribution from zope.org,
install it somewhere different (like /opt),
copy your non-default products and your Data.fs to that,
and get things running (this should take all of ten minutes)
while you straighten out the mess your packager made. (Probably remove
it and reinstall it.)
Then you can move things back to your package-Zope directory.

If you don't need to get things running in the meantime, just get your
data to a safe place, reinstall the broken package, and move your
Data.fs back.

I find it likely that you have a permissions problem: they often
manifest in strange ways. (One even cost me $10 when it filled my log
files well beyond my ISP's quota with permissions problem messages.
Luckily I caught it before it did any serious damage -- to my wallet or
the machine.)

At least you have backups: if you want to use a distro-packaged Zope for
an important purpose, be sure you can recover from the packager screwing
up. (And this means regular backups.)

Is 9173 the default port for Debian Zopes? Why not 8080, I wonder?

          --jcc