[Zope] Mathematics, fortran an zope

Terry Hancock hancock@anansispaceworks.com
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 13:57:04 -0700

On Sunday 08 June 2003 04:18 am, Børge Kjeldstad wrote:
> Say I had som program (written in for instance fortran),
> that did som advanced calculations (like for instance
> calculating the resistance of a ship hull in water);
>
> Would I then be able to use zope to make som web
> interface to this fortran program?

Sure, you just need to be able to call said program from
python.  Writing a library wrapper is possible, but you
could also just set your program up to run from the
command line and call with os.system() (or, more likely,
os.popen2()), in Python (this is not platform independent,
but you may not care -- it is often very expedient).

The python in question is a module in your Zope's
"Extensions" directory, called by a Zope "External
Method".  Once you have that set up, scripts in Zope
will be able to call your code through the web.

As for your other question, this is equally applicable
regardless of the language.  Some languages may
give you additional alternatives, but this approach
should always be possible.

Cheers,
Terry