[Zope] Mathematics, fortran an zope

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 08:57:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, [iso-8859-1] B=F8rge Kjeldstad wrote:

> Qeustion 1:
> Say I had som program (written in for instance fortran),
> that did som advanced calculations (like for instance
> calculating the resistance of a ship hull in water);
> =20
> Would I then be able to use zope to make som web
> interface to this fortran program?
> =20
> Question 2:
> I know it is possible to do mathematics with python.
> But is it also easy to combine zope with more specialized
> math programs like for instance Matlab?
> =20

In principle, yes, you can write such a program.  In several of the
systems I've done, I use a Zope front-end and simply invoke the=20
external program through an External Method or Product or through=20
some sort of RPC mechanism (for example, Zope's XMLRPC).  The=20
problem with all these approaches has to do with response time. =20
If the external system responds quickly and if the web's forms=20
based interaction is adequate, then it's a good match.  It the=20
program takes a long time to run or if it is highly interactive,=20
then some other approach is needed.