[Zope] ZSQLMethodFile?

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:23:27 -0500

>> I wrote a product for just this purpose: using ZSQLMethods in
>> fs-based products. Has some other neat features besides.
>>
>> http://www.zope.org/Members/jccooper/extzsql
>
> I'm not convinced. The solution I currently have (if it works when I
> start using it) is great.
>
> It looks something like this::
>
> class MyProduct(ObjectManager, SQLClass):
>     def helloworld(self, bar):
>        return SelectWorldSQLStatement(foo=bar)
>
> class SQLClass(Acquisition.Implicit):
>     pass
>
> for filename, params, statement in getFilesEndingWithDotsql():
>     setattr(SQLClass, SQL(filename, 'No title', DBCONNECTION, params,
> statement))

I'm not sure I understand how setattr works here with only two
arguments, and none of them a string. But maybe I've just never come
across it and haven't been able to research it properly.

> The "only" problem is refreshing.
> Not yet attempted this but it should be a good candidate::
>
> I subclass SQL ("from Products.ZSQLMethods.SQL import SQL") and
> intercept the __call__ method to do something like this::
>
>  if SQL_HARD_REFRESH_MODE:
>     self.manage_edit(... open(filename).read() ...)
>
> I bet there are going to implications that need serious python
> thinking, but that'll just be a challange.
>
> What do you think about this?

That's pretty clever, and it'll probably work. Making the SQL instances
class attributes takes care of some of the main problems with SQL
methods in products (like having separate SQL instances in all product
instances.) A few things to keep in mind from when I solved this same
problem:

 * SQL methods outside an object instance may not like that environment,
as they rely on acquisition context to find things like DAs. I dunno if
creating them at the class level will be a problem or not, and if it is,
I don't know how easily soluble it'll be. You'll find out when you try.
 * Check if and how you interact with the persistence machinery in doing
this. If you do, make sure that you're making packable changes. I won't
make any predictions on how this'll actually function with regard to
persistence.
 * Such a refresh scheme will suck like mad if you leave it on in a
production environment. You could (like I did) check the file
modification times to see if it needs to be refreshed (it's not hard at
all.) Or possibly use some other refresh policy.
 * If you want to use more than one data source, or a non-standard file
placement, your incantations become more complicated. The four
lines+some function you show above isn't bad so far as boilerplate goes,
but it has the poential to become tedious if you try to do too much.

These may not even be problems in your environment, and if they are,
they probably won't kill you. Except maybe the first two.

And to get my shameless plug out of the way, I might point out that
there's already a package that deals nicely with these problems (and more).

          --jcc