[Zope] searching by miles from __ zip code

Bill Bell bill-bell@bill-bell.hamilton.on.ca
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:15:14 -0400

Dylan Reinhardt <zope@dylanreinhardt.com> wrote, in part:
> But if the purpose of this is to get some proxy for driving distance,
> there's no compelling reason to be any more accurate than within a mile
> or so... distance "as the crow flies" is only a bare approximation of
> driving distance anyway.

Beyond what I wrote in a previous message: It just occurred to me that driving
distances can be outside the bounds given by the L(1) and L(2) distances because of
obstructions, political boundaries, etc. For example, for those familiar with southern
Ontario, the road distance within Canada between Niagara Falls and Oshawa is
greater than the L(1) distance since, to remain within Canada, one must drive around
the western end of Lake Ontario.