[Zope] Using ZPT to include a file

Simon Forster simon-lists@ldml.com
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:29:11 +0100

As you'll guess, I'm a complete beginner with Zope so I'll be asking
some damn irritating questions - that's by way of an apology in advance
:-)

I've waded through great chunks of the Zope Book so get some of the
principles but of course I've forgotten as much as I remember because
I've not applied any of it yet. FWIW, I'm reasonably confident that
once I've got my head around Zope's way of working, things'll be OK but
there's a whole host of new concepts being thrown at me.

While we're on FWIWs, the process of being introduced to Zope is quite
a hairy one. As someone going through the learning procedure, my first
call was to subscribe to this mailing list and to download the pdf
version of the Zope Book. Generally, the mailing list talks about
specific problems where I don't even understand the problem being
addressed - but that's OK, part of the learning curve etc. Reading the
Zope Book, quite quickly I got to examples that just didn't work. At
this point I queried the list and was told that much of this had been
fixed in a later Zope Book only available online.

Respectfully, archive the old versions of the book. The new book's
structure is sufficiently different that you don't know what you've
read and what you haven't - irritating if you're halfway through the
previous version of the book. And people like me HATE starting again
from the beginning! Archiving the old versions would seem to be quite
low fruit in terms of preventing new users from starting off on the
wrong foot!

Anyway, onto ?s. Firstly, a couple of generic ones:

- As a rule, I'm taking it that Zope Page Templates (ZPTs) are the way
to go rather than DTML when we're talking about HTML pages? This broad
rule seems to be the takeout from the latest Zope Book.

- As another rule, all logic goes into Python Scripts? Pages don't show
logic unless it's presentation logic (if new user, display <b>Welcome
New User</b> type of thing).

I just want to make sure that I start out with good habits.

A more specific ?:

I've got an existing site I'll adapt to run in Zope. This site has been
put together in a very structured manner so should translate to Zope
quite smoothly. Unfortunately, I'm failing at the first page. The
structure of the site is such that I have a bunch of folders inside the
sites root folder. One of these folders (Welcome) contains the default
site page. What I'd like to do is include the content of this page in
the index_html page at the site root. As Zope works back up the
namespace hierarchy, the logical (to me) tag <b
tal:replace="Welcome/index_html">Welcome to LDML Ltd</b> returns an
error. How do I get Zope to include pages found in sub-folders?

Basic stuff but we've all got to start somewhere.

TIA

Simon Forster
   LDML Ltd, Office One, 16 Canham Road, London, W3 7SR, UK
         Tel: +44 (0)20 8749 7766     Fax: +44 (0)70 9230 5247