[Zope] Help Needed - Case for Zope

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:54:27 -0800

At 10:14 PM 3/4/2003, J Cameron Cooper wrote:
>>I think showing Zope to be faster than Tomcat,
>>as the numbers indicate, will be difficult to support, especially since I
>>don't believe it myself.
>
>Although benchmarks are a very small part of the story as far as I'm
>concerned, there is a need for such numbers.

Indeed.  Zope is a decent enough performer in benchmark testing and we
should know where it stands.  But the real case for Zope is not its speed
as a server, but its speed as a development platform.

You can increase performance speed easily enough... get faster hardware, a
bigger pipe, more caching, a reverse proxy, do load balancing.  It doesn't
take a heck of a lot to build a world-class service *around* Zope.

Where Zope shines is in time to market and ease of maintenance.  It's going
to be tough to give a precise benchmark on how much faster it is to build
something in Zope than it is in J2EE or Jboss.  But it is appreciably
faster, perhaps by an order of magnitude.  Developer time and support
resources just aren't things most shops can come up with as easily as cash
for hardware.

The learning curve is shorter too.  If you're a moderately experienced
developer, you can pick up 90% of Python in a day or two.  I've never heard
that said about Java... at least not with a straight face.  :-)

Perhaps the best way to make a case for Zope is to prototype
something.  Give yourself a little time to do some reading up front, but
then just rip into something.  In many ways Zope is a
gotta-see-it-to-believe-it proposition.  Lots of platforms claim to make
things easy... but the proof is in doing something nontrivial.  In the time
it takes to evaluate Zope and measure it against other platforms you could
almost be done with a rough prototype of your system.

HTH,

Dylan