[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Authenticating with acl_users

Jens Vagelpohl jens@zope.com
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 13:48:14 -0500

by the way, please do not cross-post to several lists. i am restricting=20=

this to the zope list because it is more appropriate.

i don't think you will have any success tring to "use" user folder=20
methods that have to do with authentication outside of the user folder=20=

itself, period. from your description it sounds like all you need is a=20=

user folder implementation that handles cookies. i suggest you=20
investigate the CookieCrumbler product (if you are married to your=20
specific user folder, that is) or you use a user folder that has cookie=20=

hanling built in.

i'm not sure what that "dont want to use any products that does not=20
come with a clean Zope install" is all about. most zope products=20
install by dropping them in the Products folder of either your instance=20=

or in the zope software tree. it doesn't get any cleaner than that.

jens

On Saturday, Mar 8, 2003, at 12:30 US/Eastern, Sondre R=F8njom wrote:

> I'm creating a python product - which needs to be authenticated; and I
> dont want to use any products that does not come with a clean Zope=20
> install
> - so I user Simple User Folder and define two roles admin user and
> ordinary user. I just want a user to login via login form, check=20
> username
> and password with the acl_users user list and set the user to
> AUTHENTICATED_USER if username and password is correct. Actually I =
just
> want to access the methods which the pop-up authenticator use when one
> does /manage.  To me it looks like validate() from=20
> AccessControl/User.py does this for you, but Im not
> sure how to use the method.
>
> /sondre
>
> On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>
>> what exactly is it you are trying to achieve? maybe someone can help=20=

>> if
>> you let us know what the real motivation is.
>>
>> jens
>>

>> On Saturday, Mar 8, 2003, at 11:42 US/Eastern, Sondre R=F8njom wrote:
>>
>>> Ive been looking through AccessControl/User.py to understand the
>>> validate() methods paramteres. Im not sure what to put inside the
>>> request,
>>> and how to do it. I have been testing around, but I can only manage=20=

>>> do
>>> authenticate(), but this only tells if the user is valid and has the
>>> right
>>> password. The thing is, I also want to set AUTHENTICATED_USER, but=20=

>>> not
>>> sure how to to this, but I have the idea validate() does all this =
for
>>> you,
>>> if you pass the right parameters. I have been searching at zope.org=20=

>>> and
>>> google.com for a long time now, but cant find very much useful. The