[Zope] Setuid

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:17:06 -0600

>Blank to all I have installed zope-2.6.0_1 on freebsd 4,7 stable but I have of the problems to make to start it.
>
> If launch zope from root with
>

> su-2.05b# ./start
>  I receive this error SystemExit: A user was not specified to setuid to; fix this to start as root (see doc/SETUID.txt)
>
> I have tried also always launch it with l option - u from root
>
> su-2.05b# ./start -u slupz
>
> SystemExit: /usr/local/www/Zope/var is not owned by root, fix this to start as root (see doc/SETUID.txt)
>
> Someone puo gives to me one aid hand? Thanks to all.
>Excused for my English.

To run Zope on port 80 on various UNIX-types, it needs to start as root
and drop to a normal user. That user is defined in the -u parameter,
which you are doing. There are also other things you need to do:

make your var directory owned by root and set the "sticky bit"

All this is explained in docs/SETUID.txt

You could also let it run on an unpriveledged port (like 8080) and start
it as a normal user.

          --jcc