[Zope] Use of GRUF with exUserFolder/PostgreSQL broken?

Joel Burton joel@joelburton.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:36:16 -0500

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 01:15:31PM +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
> Joel Burton wrote:
> >Dear GRUF and exUserFolder developers, and others familiar with both
>
> Haven't heard of GRUF before. What is it? Where can I find out more?

GRUF == GroupUserFolder, an implementation of groups for Zope. Unlike
NuxUserGroups, which patches various parts of Zope to get its
group-enabling magic working, GRUF uses a clever acl_folder replacement
to do its thing. It's a smart idea.

You can find details at
http://www.zope.org/Members/ingeniweb/GroupUserFolder

It advertises itself as compatible w/any user-folder replacement, since
it strives to look like a normal user folder. Unfortunately, the
perfect-compatibility isn't exactly on-target; hence, my message.

BTW, for others chasing the same problem: Andrew, the author of
exUserFolder, suggested that I install the CVS version of exUserFolder
and use this, as it provides the correct method on the user folder,
rather than just the user object. This is true, but the signature for
the method is different, and therefore still requires a small patch in
GRUF:

line 233 (body of authenticate()) of GRUFUser.py should be changed to:

  return self.aq_parent.Users.acl_users.authenticate( self.getId(),
                                                      password,
						      request )

Fixing two problems: the acquisition path at the start gets us to the
exUserFolder folder, and it adds self.getId(), as exUF requires the
username to be passed to its authenticate method (unlike Zope
BasicUserFolder).

==

The CVS version of exUserFolder contains support for using NuxUserGroups
built-in, so that *might* be a better choice for others. I'd prefer to
see more documentation & stories about the success/performance of NUG,
given that it monkeypatches Zope internals. Plus, I'd hate to see that
my next UserFolder choice (LDAP? who knows?) wouldn't work with it.

==

(... and not to be the zillionth person to say this, but why, oh, why,
hasn't someone added groups concept to the zope core? ;) )

> cheers,
>
> Chris

You too, Chris. Hope things are going well.

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant