[Zope] Is Zope unique? Books?

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:54:54 -0600

> For my personal knowledge... is Zope unique in providing those features?

It's certainly unusual. There are a few Java and other OO-dbs that can
provide hierarchical object persistence. Anything more similar I've
never heard seen.

> What about commercial tools like ColdFusion or MS Content Management
> Server?

Definitely no on ColdFusion. The MS thing was built by someone else
(surprise!) and acquired a year and a half ago or so;  it may look a
little like Zope, but I think it's also a big fat "no" on that too.

> Also, I asked the question a couple of months ago, but can't for the
> life of me find the answers to books you would recommend besides "The
> Zope Book" and "Zope Web Application Development and Content Management".

Besides the New Riders book, I hear the "Zope Bible" title is pretty
good. There has long been rumor of an O'Reilly title, but if they're
working on one, it isn't here yet. I've started working on a
web-equivalent of a Zope book (not that I wouldn't entertain a
publisher), but it'll take some time to get its legs, and it's not on
paper, so that probably won't help you much.

          --jcc