[Zope] Integrating products with zope.

Johan Carlsson [EasyPublisher] johanc@easypublisher.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:44:47 +0000

At 14:59 2003-03-25 +0530, Paul Naveen Raj Jeyaraj said:
>Hi,
>
>Can Zope be integrated with a third party product( Something which
>doesn't come under the product list in zope site)? How should I go
>about? Please guide. Thank you.

How long is a stick?

Really I thing you need to provide more information about what
third party product you want to integrate.

For what it's worth, Zope doesn't restrain you fro integrating anything.
Actually it's quite easy to integrate things using Python.
The limitations usually lies with the third party product and what support
for integration it has.

You can use XML-RPC, there are also modules for Soap, SQL, bindings to
C/C++ libraries,
to some extent Perl and JSP (?), you could use COM (on Windows), you could
possibly
use XPCOM or you can let Zope call binaries or use traditional protocols
like FTP or HTTP.

The most common way and imo robust way to integrate third party applications
is either through a shard SQL server or a binding to C/C++ libraries.

One important factor when integrating components and libraries are that the
third party
must (should) supply a thread safe component/library.
For instance integrating with MS Word via COM isn't really recommended because
it's not thread-safe (not to my knowledge any way).

Best Regards,
Johan Carlsson

--
Easy Publisher Developers Team