[Zope] Re: Re: Newbie: running Zope for the first time - Linux

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
26 Mar 2003 19:45:35 +0000

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 01:49, Alberto Odor wrote:
> If I try to ./start being logged as root
> I get a message: A user was not specified to setuid to;
> I also get a message saying that /usr/local/Zope/var directory isn't owned
> by root
> (I have read the SETUID.txt document but could not come out with an answer)
>
> If I try to ./start being logged as aodor  (./start -u aodor)
> I get a message: access denied

You're almost there.  :-)

The "-u aodor" belongs *in* your start script, provided as an argument
to z2.py.  Your start script must be executed *by* root if you connect
to port 80 (or any other port below 1024).  Setting the -u option allows
Zope to function as this less-privileged user *after* privileged tasks
(e.g., connecting to port 80) have been performed.

The aodor user will also need the appropriate permissions, particularly
on the var directory.  In the past (pre 2.5), I saw better results by
installing *as* some user besides root, but I'm not sure if that makes a
difference any more... now it's just habit.

HTH,

Dylan