[Zope] Anyone else have this problem?

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:43:58 -0500

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 07:56:47AM -0500, McDonnell, Larry wrote:
> >Just tried to install Zope-2.6.1 from src on my vanilla redhat7.1 system.
> Its
> >running python 2.1.1 (I know...I should upgrade)
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been running zope on win2000 machines and I was looking to go to
> linux/redhat. I thought zope installed it's own python during installation,
> is this diferent in linux?
>
> Thanks.

It depends on how you install it.  The zope.org binary package installs
its own python.  The problem with that is that it is always in a
non-standard place, and installing extensions gets to be hairy - you
often have to install in multiple locations.  Also, it can be very
interesting to debug - unless you do things right, starting python from
the command line gets you something different than what zope is actually
using.  So, you see mails form people to the effect of "I just tested
this, and it worked fine from python, why is zope broken?"

The zope.org source package does not include python.  So, if you install
from source, you will always be using your system's python, which probably
came from your distribution.

The third alternative is to use the distribution supplied zope.  There
may be deficiencies with these packages.  The Debian package is in
pretty good shape.  I can't vouch for others.

Frankly, I wish that zope.org would quit distributing linux binaries - I
think that the confusion it creates is greater than the "instant
gratification" value.  But, I do not get to make that call.

Jim Penny