[Zope] Debugging and Environment Variables

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
31 Mar 2003 09:36:43 -0800

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 08:31, Derek Basch wrote:
> > Running Zope this way isn't an area of great
> > expertise for me...
>
> This seems to be no ones area of expertise. Did I pick
> a weird way to debug or something?

Well... it doesn't appear to offer a lot of advantages over debugging
with a web client.  I may be missing something critical, but I find the
development cycle is much faster when debugging on a live instance...
particularly when what I'm debugging creates layouts or other visual
artifacts.

> Here is the traceback from my root object request:

> I have tried this on 2 separate Zope installs and both
> fail to return the "Zope Quick Start" page. So, it
> looks like there is a fundamental flaw in how my
> requests are being processed. I can't believe that no
> one has ever run into this problem before?
> Suggestions?

Fire up Zope and connect with a local web browser?

Testing is all well and good, but if you're having difficulty
troubleshooting your testing environment, it might be better to just
take an easier route.  Interacting with the ZMI may also provide some
insight... tough to say.

> > You might also find this howto helpful:
> >http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/HowTos/TheDebuggerIsYourFriend
>
> Thanks for the suggestion but that is the page that
> got me started down this highway of confusion!

Oh... well, maybe the debugger isn't *your* friend after all... :-)

Dylan