[Zope] Zope & apache

Gregory Dudek dudek@cim.mcgill.ca
Mon, 5 May 2003 12:48:58 -0400

Although some people have suggested that running zope standalone
without apache is the
recommended way to go, I have heard several people suggest that the
Apache
solution is preferred.  There are a lot of "it depends" qualifiers here.

What I've heard is that running Zope behind Apache may provide more
better
system security.  I think the rationale is that apache is more heavily
debugged.
(This argument may be questionable, as you have two families of bug to
deal with though.)
It also allows you to run other kinds of apache-based service.
It also provides maximum flexibility.
   A key issue is to configure your httpd.conf file that specifies
apache's behaviour file with suitable
rewrite rules so that some/most/all requests are handed off to zope
instead of being dealt with by
apache.

At any rate, it's what I do.   I
believe there are (at least) 2 common ways of doing it.  The one I
selected is based on "PCGI".  Essentially the zope process stays active
and
apache talks to it via a lightweight intermediate process.  It's
actually quite easy to
set up. Try looking here

http://zdp.zope.org/projects/zbook/book/VII/IntegraWebServers/
IntegraUnix/ZopeApacheIntegraPCGI/Drafts/954770544
for details or just search for "zope pcgi apache".

Greg