[Zope] Re: [Plone-users] Re: Zope databasw

felix@chaptereight.com felix@chaptereight.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 14:38:33 +0100

sergio, try to keep to the list - you'll get more help ;-)

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 09:19:21AM -0400, Cueto, Sergio wrote:
> Can I use SQL2000 as the database in zope?  Also, if I wished to use
> another database such as MySQL or Oracle, how is this link set in
> zope since the default appears to be ZODB?

You can access any database from Zope - if you want to store
information in tables.  You can access several different external
relational databases from one zope.

But the Zope Object Database (ZODB) is actually one the great features
of Zope - you can just store objects without needing to convert from
objects to rows.  Most commonly people use the ZODB for storing
templates, logic, etc and then connect to an external RDBMS to work
with existing or tabular data.  Zope makes this easy.

If you really really want to use an RDBMS to store the actual ZODB,
you can search for AdaptableStorage or DirectoryStorage, but that's
quite advanced stuff and you'd need a good reason to do it.

What are you actually trying to do?

F.