[Zope] New to Zope needs some help

Terry Hancock hancock@anansispaceworks.com
Tue, 20 May 2003 10:50:16 -0700

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 10:16 am, A E Senior wrote:
> My question: once I have developed something in Zope, how do I
> "upload it" -using the normal methaphor for web sites- to a hosting
> server/site?

The short but misleading answer is: you export on the
development box, ftp the *.zexp file, and then import
on the production box.

You will probably find it confusing that the export file
winds up in your "var" directory, while the import file
must be placed in "import" for the production box to
find it.  The reason has to do with security.

This is misleading though,  because it turns out that the
"staging" model you describe, while standard for static
websites, does not lend itself as easily to web application
deployment.  You will need to think carefully about:

* Where does site information originate? Does the
  production site evolve as a result of user actions? If so,
  you will need to merge those changes back into your
  upgrades, or you will lose them.

* What's different about your development and production
  servers?  For example, you may also need to install
  extra Zope Products in order for them to be compatible.

* And finally, what external resources are you relying
  on? Such as an SQL server, local filesystem, local
  webserver, etc?

So, in your particular case, you may or may not need
a more complicated deployment scheme (such as
importing part of the site).  It's basically about the
separation of program and data -- and that is somewhat
contrary to the principles of object-oriented design,
in which they are intermingled.

There is also a product called "ZSyncer" that is for
synchronizing Zope instances.  It might be more
appropriate for your situation.

Cheers,
Terry