[Zope] CatalogQuery newbie question

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 26 May 2003 20:21:02 +0200

Stephan Goeldi wrote at 2003-5-26 15:03 +0200:
 > > It's a question of someone that did not read the available documenta=
tion
 > > carefully...
 >=20
 > I read it very carefully, but don't seem to be the ideal target group
 > ;-)
 >=20
 > My problem is, that I see this example in the query:
 >=20
 > title =3D=3D =E2=80=99spam=E2=80=99 or PrincipiaSearchSource =3D=3D =E2=
=80=99spam=E2=80=99
 >=20
 > I would now replace the word 'spam' with a word, entered in a search
 > form. I tried:
 >=20
 > <dtml-in expr=3D"Catalog.query(title =3D=3D &dtml-word or
 > PrincipiaSearchSource =3D=3D &dtml-word)">
 >=20
 > which doesn't work (same for some variants of the above).
 >=20
 > Do you believe me now, that I am a newbie?

Apparently, you are also a person who does not like to read :-(

  I am sure, I not only wrote the (potentially insulting)
  phrase quoted above but also listed two options for you.

    1.  Use Python's format operator ("%") (see Python Library Reference)

    2.  Use ZCatalogQuery's parameter interpolation (see
        the ZCatalogQuery documentation).

	I looked it up for you: It is the "CatalogQuery-HowTo"
	document, section "Expressions in Queries".
	There is an example there, ready to use....

And as the above 'expr=3D"...&dtml-XXX;"' indicates additional need
for background reading, you should read the Zope Book
or maybe

  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope/book/chap3.html>

You can be sure that without carefull background reading,
your work with Zope will take at least an order of magnitude
longer than necessary.

Dieter