[Zope] Storing published objects (?)

Jamie Heilman jamie@audible.transient.net
Tue, 27 May 2003 21:25:05 -0700

Samir Mishra wrote:
> The underlying SQL queries are complex, the data doesn't change often, and I
> think this may be the best way to lighten the burden on the DB.

Hmmm, well generally this is what CacheManagers do, but storing the
results in a database would be a new one (to date I've seen managers
that use memory, the filesystem, and just add HTTP headers to the
response).  While its entirely likely you could achieve what you want
using a memory cache, if the data is sufficiently large it may be not
be a good idea, and its certainly not persistent accross
zope-restarts.  Implementing a cache manager that stored its data in a
RDBMS shouldn't be impossible, take a look at the Cache & CacheManager
interfaces in OFS/Cache.py -- and I'd suggest using the updated code
I've prepared in http://collector.zope.org/Zope/911 as its cleaner
than the existing stuff.

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"It's almost impossible to overestimate the unimportance of most things."