Large files, Zope, & Twisted, was Re: [Zope] uploading large files w/ LocalFS

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 08:55:34 -0400

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 09:56:00AM -0700, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
> I've been toying with Twisted a bit lately and wonder if it might be
> used to create a helper app for Zope that functions as a separate web
> server that can exchange/lookup some kind of authentication token with
> Zope.

hmm... something like a TwistedCredUserFolder? ;-)

> Large files could then be served on a separate port and
> restricted to those with a cookie and/or URL munge approved by Zope.

that could work. Either that or run zope *behind* twisted and
implement some kind of authentication pass-through (single sign-on).
I dunno whether that's feasible.

On a somewhat related note, I've also been annoyed lately that zope
supports FTP but not SFTP.  I've looked at the SFTP specification and it
looks like a couple days' work to do in Twisted, maybe less if you know
what you're doing :-)  So I'm toying with the idea of:

1) adding sftp support for twisted ... probably this means leveraging
Twisted Conch (ssh).

2) writing a twisted server that makes calls to a Zope.app() instance
so data uploaded to this twisted server can be handled with zope's
ftp PUT support. I guess that this would require some care with
synchronizing transactions (via get_transaction.commit() and _p_jar.sync())

I haven't really thought this through.
The alternative would be hacking SFTP support into Zope itself and
I don't know enough yet to know if that would be easier or
harder.

> This hasn't gotten anywhere near my radar screen...

ditto.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com