[Zope] XML-RPC and region-specific characters

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 28 May 2003 23:55:20 +0200

Ben Avery wrote at 2003-5-28 11:48 +0100:
 > I'm stuck on a problem with our production site (in the UK)
 >=20
 > We have a client application sending data to a Zope server by XML-RPC.=
=20
 > Our users have been trying to send text descriptions including the=20
 > British Pound symbol =A3. But this not being sent or received correctl=
y.
 >=20
 > Has anyone found this problem with =A3, or any other region-specific=20
 > characters. I have read that it's possible to use XML-RPC with unicode=
,=20
 > but have been unable to find exactly how to do this with Zope.

I was very disappointed about the lack of robustness of XML-RPC
with respect to supported characters in strings.
I ended up encoding all strings via "base64".

In the future, I will use pickle serialization rather than XML-RPC
unless one of the partners is not a Python application.

Dieter