[Zope] changing port from 9673 default

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Fri Nov 7 19:54:45 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 16:38, George Perry wrote:
> Dylan:
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I have tried that unsuccessfully

Really?  I wasn't aware that zopectl had the power to override z2.py.
Hmm.

Another thing to try with your zopectl is to look for the BASE_PORT
argument... perhaps you're using both it and WEB_PORT.

> , but I was
> trying to redirect to the privileged port 80

Same process, whatever that turns out to be. :-)

>  - which Jamie Heilman has told
> me will not work unless I run Zope as root.

That's close: to bind to 80 you need to *start* Zope as root.  You need
to *run* Zope as some non-root user regardless.  This is covered in the
docs included with your installation.

And if I know Jamie at all, he was offering this observation as a reason
*not* to run Zope on 80, which is a bad idea for a number of reasons.
Pretty much everyone who runs anything serious with Zope puts it behind
Apache, squid or (*ahem*) IIS.

>   This had worked when I had
> earlier installed the Linux version of Zope linked to at Zope.org.

That's still an option, of course.  The trade-off with using packages is
you accept the choices made by the package maintainers.  If you don't
like those choices, you're probably better off rolling your own.

> Portland, OR  97229-5497

Me too.  I haven't gotten around to it yet, but one of these days, I'm
planning on getting a PDX-area Zope user group together.

Dylan