[Zope] ZPT file reader (Zope Docs discussion)

Paul Howell paul at smoothstone.com
Tue Nov 11 14:04:48 EST 2003

Agreed we need more/better documentation.  Am very glad the effort is being
put forth to do as much on the volunteer basis as is being done, and that
the Zope Book continues to be made online available (yay).  That said...

<2p>The approach taken by JBoss.org has certainly paid dividends for
them.  Their emphasis from near the beginning has been to focus
on  developing and selling high quality documentation and lots of training
courses, which helps build a well-developed workforce around the
product.  It also (of course) sets them up as the obvious leaders when it
comes to developing enterprise-quality projects using JBoss.

I know next to nothing about Zope corp itself, other than that their
corporate goal seems to be to offer top quality consulting services around
their software.  That's the same as JBossgroup, but the JBoss approach to
doing so (by advancing the quality of all JBoss developers through better
education) also has helped propel enormous growth in popularity of that
product -- which, of course, leads to more and better jobs for JBossgroup
because JBoss gets increasingly high visibility.  So...
Zope - great product, tricky to understand, growth good but slow
JBoss - nearly great product, great docs and corporate training, growth
seems to be through the roof.

I think Zope Corp. could likely benefit a great deal by sponsoring/leading
the way toward *First Class* documentation for us all.  I'm not knocking ZC
or their approach -- they do a lot for the Zopistas -- but at a minimum
such an effort would pay for itself for ZC (write once, sell many docs,
rewrite often, sell subscriptions), and it would increase the trickle of
newbies into the fold, and make MUCH more palatable the adoption of Zope
the platform into enterprises of all types.
</2p>

=P
***  DTML is dead!  Long live DTML!  ***