[Zope] TypeError: 'in <string>' requires character as left operand

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Nov 11 14:19:34 EST 2003

Gordon Sullivan wrote at 2003-11-10 12:49 -0500:
 > Quoting Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de>:
 >
 > > Gordon Sullivan wrote at 2003-11-7 13:52 -0500:
 > >  > The traceback is at the bottom.
 > >  > ...
 > >  > > I seem to have messed up my Plone real good.  I'm not sure, but I
 > > think
 > >  > > what I did to cause this was clicking the drop-down on the preferences
 > >  > > screen for the editor.  There was only one selection, 'None'.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Now if I try to access /folder_contents for any folder, it gives me a
 > >  > > Site error and the message:
 > >  > >
 > >  > >     "'in ' requires character as left operand".
 > >  > ...
 > >  >  Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 95, in pt_render
 > >  >   - <FSPageTemplate at /Plone/folder_contents used for /Plone/Members>
 > >  > ...
 > >  >    - Line 66, Column 12
 > >  >    - Expression: <PythonExpr
 > > here.sortObjects(here.allowedContentTypes())>
 > >  >    - Names:
 > >  > ...
 > >  >        'here': <PloneFolder instance at 0229AA48>,
 > >  >   Module Products.CMFCore.TypesTool, line 175, in allowType
 > >  > TypeError: 'in <string>' requires character as left operand
 > >
 > > This indicates that the "allowed_content_types" attribute
 > > of the PloneFolder "/Plone/Members" is a string.
 > > It should be a sequence of strings.

 > Ok, assuming for now I figure out how to access my ZODB with an interactive
 > Python shell and repair the bad data without damaging anything else, how do I
 > prevent this from happening?  The problem isn't confined to one specific folder,
 > *all* folders exhibit this behavior.  I can see in the site error_log where new
 > users are signing up and getting that error on their personal Members folder.

Sorry, I have been wrong!
I did not look carefully enough at the source in "TypesTool".

The "allowed_content_types" is not faulty for your
"/Plone/Members" instance but for its associated "TypeInformation"
(see "Products/CMFCore/TypesTool")).
Therefore, you get the same error for all "PloneFolders" (as
they use the same "TypeInformation" instance).

Unfortunately, I am not an oracle (or prophet or something like that).
I cannot tell you how your "TypeInformation" instance became
corrupt.
The concrete (broken) value for "allowed_content_types"
may give some hint on when and why it became wrong.
But, this value is beyond my reach (unless you look at it and
report what you find ;-)).

--
Dieter