[Zope] Cataloging a ZSQL database

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Wed Nov 12 18:02:32 EST 2003

Clara Baiget wrote:

> Hi JCC,
> Thank you very much for your help - the problem was actually the
> location of one of the scripts - I looked for some documentation on
> the concat SQL command - you were right, it seems it's not cut out for
> gadfly. Unfortunately the option of using My SQL with zope seems too
> buggy, as I keep getting errors with the MySQL DA....(it seems like a
> common problem). The reason I wanted to use MySQL was to be able to
> reuse the data, but I'm not sure this is possible with Postgres or
> gadfly. Can data be transferred into a MySQL database?
> Thanks again for your help!
> Clara

I'm also including the list: we might as well have the info out there
for posterity, no?

I know Postgres to work very well with Zope. The only problem I've ever
seen is that frequent use of the "refresh" function will sometimes cause
connection leakages, and I'm not even sure this isn't just a general
behaviour.

Gadfly also interacts well, but frankly I wouldn't use it for anything
other than demonstration or the most trivial of applications. (Which is
its job description, after all.)

If you must have information available in some external relational
database, Postgres will usually work every bit as well as MySQL. I'm
sure there are ways to transfer data between the two (if you already
have data in one) if that's in question. (And since you appear to have
good reasons, I'll withhold the usual tract about where I think data
should usually be stored (hint: ZODB). If you care, you can look it up
in the list archives.)

I don't know about the errors you get with the MySQL DA: perhaps the
list or the author can help clear those up and solve the whole problem.

             --jcc

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."