[Zope] New to Zope

Jay Dorsey jay at jaydorsey.com
Wed Nov 12 16:48:32 EST 2003

Jake (aka BZ) wrote:

  > There are a bunch of good articles on DTML and ZPT over at
> http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Zope
>
> That should keep you reading. You can either pick DTML or go with the
> newer ZPT (I am still in DTML land).

Thanks for the links--the devshed site does a great job of going over
the basics.  DTML seems relatively straightforward to
me--ZPT/TAL/TALES/METAL seems kind of "wordy" to me, but since it's
"newer" I'm almost inclined to skip over DTML for now.

Is there anything DTML can do that ZPT can't do?  I drafted a quick site
in DTML using DTML Documents for the header and footer and included them
via dtml-var and it worked just great.  I tried doing the same with ZPT
and using tal:replace with a header and footer Page Template, and it
converted the HTML to character entities because I got back the plain
HTML.  I'm sure it might be something obvious that I've not read into yet...

Jay