[Zope] Logging user actions

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Nov 13 16:34:03 EST 2003

Jesper Holmberg wrote:

>* On Tue Oct 21, Dieter Maurer wrote:
>

>>Jesper Holmberg wrote at 2003-10-21 16:48 +0200:
>> > I would like to be able to track what our users are doing at our
>> > Plone site, since we are doing research on their behavior. To that
>> > end, I would like to get as comprehensible an log of what they are
>> > doing as possible. It is not strictly necessary to view exactly which
>> > pages are viewed by which user, but at least I would like to log all
>> > changes made to the site; if not the exact change, at least the fact
>> > that a certain page, or a certain content has been changed by a
>> > certain user.
>>
>>Check whether the information under the "Undo" tab is enough.
>>It tells you who called what modifying operation when.
>>
>>Note that this information is trimmed when you pack the database.
>>

>Thanks for your suggestion, Dieter. Yes, the information under the
>undo-tab is a good start. I was just wondering if there is a possibility
>to get the information in this tab logged somewhere, or somehow save the
>information to a file.

You can always use the same API that the ZMI does to get information.
It's not hard to imagine how you'd take a copy of the template that
enders this tab, remove the HTML and save it as a file. (It's a template
in the Zope source.)

          --jcc

--
"Code generators follow the 80/20 rule. They solve most of the problems, but not all of the problems. There are always features and edge cases that will need hand-coding. Even if code generation could build 100 percent of the application, there will still be an endless supply of boring meetings about feature design."
(http://www.devx.com/java/editorial/15511)