[Zope] HOWTO restart Zope

Roger Chrisman rogerhc at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 15 01:21:04 EST 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 21:37, Sergey Volobuev wrote:
> >Would it be worth putting a note about /etc/init.d/zope samewhere in the
> >beginning of the Zope docs or FAQs?
>
> Note that /etc/init.d/zope is not included with standard zope
> distribution. It is your luck that your OS (SuSE) comes with this
> script. Others need to write this script by themself (of search the web
> for samples).
>
> So maybe it would be worth including this script with standard zope
> distribution to make the life really easier for newbies?

I see. Don't know how well this will work in other distros, but in case it is
helpful, below is the script '/etc/init.d/zope' from my Linux OS, SuSE 9
distro:

#! /bin/sh
# Copyright (c) 1995-2003 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany.
#
# Authors: Kurt Garloff
#          Vladimír Linek
#          Marcus Schopen <mschopen at dzug.org> (Deutsche ZOPE User Group)
#          Michal Cihar <mcihar at suse.cz>
#
# init.d/zope
#
#   and symbolic its link
#
# /usr/sbin/rczope
#
# System startup script for the Zope server
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: zope
# Required-Start: $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:  $remote_fs
# Default-Start:  3 5
# Default-Stop:   0 1 2 6
### END INIT INFO

# Source Zope relevant things
. /etc/sysconfig/zope
. /etc/sysconfig/apache

PYTHON_BIN="/usr/bin/python2.1"
test -x $PYTHON_BIN || exit 5
ZOPE_HOME="/opt/zope"
ZOPE_USER="zope"
test -d $ZOPE_HOME || exit 5
ZOPE_SCRIPT="$ZOPE_HOME/z2.py"
test -f $ZOPE_SCRIPT || exit 5

LOG_DIR=/var/log
STUPID_LOG_FILE=$LOG_DIR/zope.debug.log
export STUPID_LOG_FILE

# Shell functions sourced from /etc/rc.status:
#      rc_check         check and set local and overall rc status
#      rc_status        check and set local and overall rc status
#      rc_status -v     ditto but be verbose in local rc status
#      rc_status -v -r  ditto and clear the local rc status
#      rc_failed        set local and overall rc status to failed
#      rc_reset         clear local rc status (overall remains)
#      rc_exit          exit appropriate to overall rc status
. /etc/rc.status

# First reset status of this service
rc_reset

# Return values acc. to LSB for all commands but status:
# 0 - success
# 1 - generic or unspecified error
# 2 - invalid or excess argument(s)
# 3 - unimplemented feature (e.g. "reload")
# 4 - insufficient privilege
# 5 - program is not installed
# 6 - program is not configured
# 7 - program is not running
#
# Note that starting an already running service, stopping
# or restarting a not-running service as well as the restart
# with force-reload (in case signalling is not supported) are
# considered a success.

PARAMS="-u $ZOPE_USER -z $ZOPE_HOME -l $LOG_DIR/zope.log"

# For debugging...
if [ "$ZOPE_DEBUG" == "yes" ]; then
	PARAMS="$PARAMS -D"
fi

if [ "$ZOPE_PCGI" == "yes" ]; then
    PARAMS="$PARAMS -p $ZOPE_HOME/Zope.cgi"
else
    [ -z "$ZOPE_HTTP_PORT" ] && ZOPE_HTTP_PORT="8080"
    PARAMS="$PARAMS -w $ZOPE_HTTP_PORT"
fi

[ -z "$ZOPE_FTP_PORT" ] && ZOPE_FTP_PORT="8021"
if [ "$ZOPE_FTP" == "yes" ]; then
	PARAMS="$PARAMS -f $ZOPE_FTP_PORT"
fi

if [ "$ZOPE_IP_ADDRESS" != "" ]; then
	PARAMS="$PARAMS -a $ZOPE_IP_ADDRESS"
fi

[ -z "$ZOPE_THREADS" ] && ZOPE_THREADS="4"
if [ $ZOPE_THREADS != "4" ]; then
	PARAMS="$PARAMS -t $ZOPE_THREADS"
fi

[ -z "$ZOPE_WEBDAV_PORT" ] && ZOPE_WEBDAV_PORT="8088"
if [ "$ZOPE_WEBDAV" == "yes" ]; then
	PARAMS="$PARAMS -W $ZOPE_WEBDAV_PORT"
fi

[ -z "$ZOPE_MONITOR_PORT" ] && ZOPE_MONITOR_PORT="8089"
if [ "$ZOPE_MONITOR" == "yes" ]; then
	PARAMS="$PARAMS -m $ZOPE_MONITOR_PORT"
fi

if [ "$ZOPE_LANG" != "" ]; then
	PARAMS="$PARAMS -L $ZOPE_LANG"
fi

case "$1" in
    start)
	echo -n "Starting zope"
	## Start daemon with startproc(8). If this fails
	## the echo return value is set appropriate.

	# NOTE: startproc return 0, even if service is
	# already running to match LSB spec.

	startproc -u $ZOPE_USER $PYTHON_BIN $ZOPE_SCRIPT -X $PARAMS

	# Remember status and be verbose
	rc_status -v
	;;
    stop)
	echo -n "Shutting down zope"
	## Stop daemon with killproc(8) and if this fails
	## set echo the echo return value.

	killproc -g -p $ZOPE_HOME/var/Z2.pid -TERM $PYTHON_BIN

	# Remember status and be verbose
	rc_status -v
	;;
    try-restart)
	## Stop the service and if this succeeds (i.e. the
	## service was running before), start it again.
	## Note: try-restart is not (yet) part of LSB (as of 0.7.5)
	$0 status >/dev/null &&  $0 restart

	# Remember status and be quiet
	rc_status
	;;
    restart)
	## Stop the service and regardless of whether it was
	## running or not, start it again.
	$0 stop
	$0 start

	# Remember status and be quiet
	rc_status
	;;
    force-reload)
	## Signal the daemon to reload its config. Most daemons
	## do this on signal 1 (SIGHUP).
	## If it does not support it, restart.

	echo -n "Reload service zope"
	$0 stop  &&  $0 start
	rc_status
	;;
    reload)
	## Like force-reload, but if daemon does not support
	## signalling, do nothing (!)

	rc_failed 3
	rc_status -v
	;;
    status)
	echo -n "Checking for zope: "
	## Check status with checkproc(8), if process is running
	## checkproc will return with exit status 0.

	# Status has a slightly different for the status command:
	# 0 - service running
	# 1 - service dead, but /var/run/  pid  file exists
	# 2 - service dead, but /var/lock/ lock file exists
	# 3 - service not running

	# NOTE: checkproc returns LSB compliant status values.
	checkproc -p $ZOPE_HOME/var/Z2.pid $PYTHON_BIN
	rc_status -v
	;;
    probe)
	## Optional: Probe for the necessity of a reload,
	## give out the argument which is required for a reload.

	test $ZOPE_HOME/superuser -nt $ZOPE_HOME/var/Z2.pid && echo reload
	;;
    *)
	echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|status|try-restart|restart|force-reload|reload|
probe}"
	exit 1
	;;
esac