[Zope] Re: Zope in SuSE 9.0

Roger Chrisman rogerhc at pacbell.net
Sun Nov 16 20:29:56 EST 2003

On Saturday 15 November 2003 22:48, Dennis Allison wrote:
> > Thanks for this tip. Tried it and still can't login though. Just get
> > another little login window popping up every time I try.
>
> Well, I guess I'd next try to download a fresh copy of zope (2.6.2b5 is
> the latest stable with bug fixes).  I'd get the binary version and unpack
> it into a new directory and try to get it to run.  It should pretty much
> run out of the box.  When you get that to work you can then work backwards
> to get it installed as a Suse service.

Thanks, trying that now..

.. first attempt failed. Trying again, following installation notes in the
Zope Book:
http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/InstallingZope.stx

YES!

(0) Remove all my Zope and Python stuff with SuSE 9's Yast device.
Then,

(1) Create a 'zope' user with
# useradd -d /opt/zope

(2) Create 'zope's  home dir
# mkdir /opt/zope
# chown zope:users /opt/zope

(3) Give user 'zope' a system password with
# passwd zope
(enter a password you can remember here)

(4) Unpack the downloaded binary (downloaded from zope.org) in the /opt/zope
dir. Move it there first if that is not where it is.
# tar -xvzf  Zope-2.6.2-linux2-x86.tgz

(5) IMPORTANT!
Change ownership of everything (recursively, option -R) in /opt/zope to user
'zope' group 'users'
# chown -R zope:users /opt/zope/*

(6) Logged out 'root' and back in as 'zope'
...tap tap tap
(takes me to user 'zope's home dir -- /opt/zope)

(7) Install Zope
$ ./install
(Yes! it worked this time. Had tried it before chowning all /opt/zope to
'zope:users' and it had failed.)

IMPORTANT!
Note the username and password shown by the installer.

---------------------------------
afterthoughts...
Why not chown /opt/zope dir itself to 'zope:users'?
$ su
[root password]
# chown zope:users /opt/zope
# exit

Please advise me..
Should the group be 'users'? Someone please advise me if it should be
something else :--)

For this installation of Zope I will use Zserver instead of Apache.

Now.. can I sign into the browser based management window? :-/
(http://myserver:8080/manage1)

(0) Start Zope (logged in a 'zope')
$ /opt/zope/start
(cool, it starts!)

(1) On my desktop computer (Zope is running on my server computer) login to
the Zope's Wed manage interface. Startup Mozilla and go to,
http://myserver:8080/manage (or is in manage1? I already forgot but I'm on
manage now, no numeral 1 here)
Sign in.. Failed! Ouch!
Sign in and *cut and paste* the password from my still open server terminal
window into the browser authentication window... Yes! Works! I'm IN THE ZOPE
ADMIN WEB PAGE!

.. it was a dicey password to type in by hand on my goofy DataHand keyboard
8=)

Hope this helps someone. Took  me THREE DAYS to get to this point! :-|

Thanks all who offered tips. I'm sure I will need more..

Roger :-)