[Zope] CVS/Subversion for Zope sites

Brad Clements bkc at murkworks.com
Mon Nov 17 09:43:18 EST 2003

On 16 Nov 2003 at 10:58, Dennis Allison wrote:

> The question/problem is "what goes into the source code control system?"
> And how do I manage moving the various components from Zope to the source
> code control system, and vice versa?  Not all Zope objects transport
> neatly to the local file system space.  Moreover, I'm not sure how things
> like local roles and security settings are encapsulated for import/export
> in such a context.

I have used ZCVSFolder in the past, but I found that it didn't fit into our revision control
model very well. We'd have to remember to go to the ZMI to check stuff in.

This week I moved to APE, so that all (and I mean ALL) Zope objects are stored in the
local file system. I then check these items into Subversion.

So far it's working well, except that I cannot put an LDAPUserFolder into APE, it causes
Zope to enter a recursive loop somewhere and run out of memory.

Another advantage to APE, I can edit objects using external editors quite easily, without
using netdrive.

(My Zope server is on Linux, but I use Win2k as my desktop connecting via Samba to
Linux)

--
Brad Clements,                bkc at murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
http://www.wecanstopspam.org/                   AOL-IM: BKClements