[Zope] CASE Tool for Modeling and Code Generation of Workflows

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Tue Nov 18 12:33:42 EST 2003

--On Dienstag, 18. November 2003 15:27 Uhr -0200 ratem at censanet.com.br
wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to know if there is any initiative towards using a CASE tool
> to  model State Diagrams and then generate DCWorkflows automatically. I
> know Plone  guys did something like this to Archetypes. It is not
> necessary to have a  specific tool but a XMI file that can be used to
> code transformation  (generation). So the necessary thing would be a
> script (or a set of scripts) to  generate code from XMI.
>
> This solution expose a problem (using UML state diagrams):
> -How to represent not only states and transitions simply but also
> associate the  specif DCWorkflow´s state objects´properties like
> "triggers", and "requires  permitions" (subclassing? stereotyping?),
> "variables", "worklists" and "script  names"?
>
> Would be the solution to use extentions of UML state diagrams´ "state"
> objects  with additional properties (to accomodate DCWorkflow´s state
> objects  properties)?
>
> Do you know any case tool that I can extend core concepts to this point
> (maybe  through stereotypes)?
>
> Is there any initiative in this direction?

I had the same questions some months ago while working on a complex
workflow for DCWorkflow. There is nothing available and there is no effort
as much as I know. However I have seen a dedicated workflow editor which
implements
a standard for activity-based workflows (can't remember neither  name of
the editor
nor the standard).

-aj