[Zope] Zope threads dying continuosly

Tim Edwards Tim.Edwards at hwe.com.au
Fri Nov 21 00:35:15 EST 2003

Hmmm... I'll try and explain a bit more about our problems. We found Zope to
be generally unstable in that, after a few mins up to an hour or so, Zope
would sometimes freeze. Also when multiple people were accessing a Zope
application that retreives or modifies data in our MS SQL Server database
the Zope server would freeze and have to be restarted - always, not just
some of the time.

After installing a glibc update for Red Hat 9 that fixes a problem with
Python programs not being able to create threads and specifying the -t
option in the Zope start script (yes with 500 threads!) it seemed a lot more
stable. Now multiple people can use our database access application without
it crashing. As for the 500 threads I have now put it down to 9, however it
doesnt seem to make that much of a difference in resources - a ps listing
tells us we only ever have the normal 2 z2.py processes open at a time.

I am now running the Zope server in debug mode on a terminal and can see
that it occaisionally crashes and automatically restarts iteself. Also if I
go into the management interface and click on a ZSQL method it crashes - and
then restarts itself. Applications that use those methods still seem to work
for some reason. However I cannot get to the management interface page for
any ZSQL method in the whole Zope installation.

Thanks