[Zope] ObjectManager example needed

Dennis Allison allison at sumeru.stanford.EDU
Tue Nov 25 10:23:53 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Andre Meyer wrote:

> It is not impossible to use a RDBMS for this purpose and I have quite some
> experience with that kind of approach. However, one of the reasons to use
> Zope is that it is a much more advanced and truly OO environment. Therefore,
> why not use the power and flexibility built in Zope and add more
> administrative complexity using another tool like MySQL?

Andre,

The mapping of your music spreadsheet database to RDBMS tables is
straightforward if not trivial.  Once done, you have the full relational
query mechanism your application seems to need.  Zope's integration with
RDBMS systems like MySQL is exceptionally straightforward, clean,
powerful, and flexible. You can then use Zope to handle the user
interaction and presentation.

If you choose to do the whole thing in Zope, you'll end up having to
implement in Zope a subset of the relational query mechanism you'd have in
a RDBMS. It'll probably be educational for you , the resulting product
will be complex and difficult to maintain, it will take a lot of time and
effort, and you'll have to worry about scalability and performance.

If you choose the Zope front-end, RDBMS backend approach, you use minimize
the amount of new mechanism that needs to be created and build on existing
mechanism known to (mostly) work.  You use tools in the domain where they
work best--a RDBMS for selecting data to present based upon a query and
Zope for data capture and presentation on the web.