[Zope] ObjectManager example needed

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Nov 25 11:10:20 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 07:23:53AM -0800, Dennis Allison wrote:
> If you choose to do the whole thing in Zope, you'll end up having to
> implement in Zope a subset of the relational query mechanism you'd have in
> a RDBMS. It'll probably be educational for you , the resulting product
> will be complex and difficult to maintain, it will take a lot of time and
> effort, and you'll have to worry about scalability and performance.

For *very* minimal but useful implementation of relations in zope,
the mxmRelations product can be useful. You can't do complex queries
but it can ease the pain of keeping track of related objects.
However, it requires that your data objects and/or their containers
inherit from a mixin class provided by this product.

> If you choose the Zope front-end, RDBMS backend approach, you use minimize
> the amount of new mechanism that needs to be created and build on existing
> mechanism known to (mostly) work.  You use tools in the domain where they
> work best--a RDBMS for selecting data to present based upon a query and
> Zope for data capture and presentation on the web.

I haven't actually tried it yet, but if it were me and I had the
time to do some experimentation, I would look into using APE.
As I understand it, this might be able to further improve the
zope <-> rdbms integration: you could store the data heirarchically in the
ZODB and use all of zope's nice features, and then when you want to do
queries, use a zsql method to directly query the underlying relational storage.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com