[Zope] Streaming video/audio through a Zope site

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Wed Nov 26 13:32:52 EST 2003

Etienne Labuschagne wrote:

> What are possible solutions for offering streamed resources on a Zope
> site?
>
> I was thinking of running Zope behind Apache and get some other
> product to handle the streamed content.  That way Zope serves content
> the usual way and the links to the streamed content points to the
> streaming media server software (all behind Apache, so it "looks" like
> it is coming from the same site).
>
> Does this solution sound viable, and are there any suggestions on the
> software to use as the streaming server - preferably Linux, not too
> expensive and something that streams a well known format and which can
> work with Apache.

That sounds about right. Usually streaming stuff requires its own server.

Streaming MPEG is really easy, and client support is fantastic. I think
IceCast is canonical for this (apparently it now also does Ogg Vorbis).
I saw a HOWTO a while back about some LUG (in Florida, I think) that
used this to stream their meetings. Perhaps it was linked from Slashdot.

Real also seems to have open-sourced some part of their server software.
Helix, I think.

          --jcc
--

"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."