[Zope] Maximum you can store in /var/Data.fs that I pussume is the FileStorage for ZODB

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Wed Nov 26 13:41:36 EST 2003

Chuck Aamdi wrote:

> Database Location
> /usr/local/bin/zope/Zope-2.6.1-linux2-x86/var/Data.fs
> Database Size
> 10.6M
>
> Whats is the Maximum you can store in /var/Data.fs that I pussume is
> the FileStorage for ZODB

There are various limits, almost none of them Zope-specific.

Older Python (2.1.3 on Windows) will limit you to 2 gig.
Your OS and/or filesystem may limit file size of Data.fs to anywhere
from 2G to several TB. You can get around this with DirectoryStorage or
DBTab.
Your OS and/or filesystem may limit filesystem size similarly.
And you cannot store more data than you have disk space.

There are some application factors:

Administration of lots of objects in the wrong UI can suck tremendously.
Regular folders need to become BTreeFolders to handle more than a few
thousand objects.

If you're planning a TB+ ZODB, perhaps you will want to test first to
see how Zope handles it. Otherwise, it's probably not a problem.

          --jcc

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."