[Zope] Could I build this application with zope?

John Hobson jhobson at ufi.com
Thu Nov 27 09:25:39 EST 2003

Thanks to those who gave useful replies to my earlier post.  I am still
looking into using zope for my project.  It looks like the CMF could
provide a number of the features that I am looking for and that a number
of others would have to be custom developed.  Is it a realitively
straight-forward process to develop custom functionality?

Follows is a brief synopsis of the functionality that I am looking for,
for this project, I would appreciate if anyone could take a quick look
and let me know if zope may be suitable.

Thanks,
John

We require a software solution to:

	1.	control and manage the course development process and to
enable communication between all internal teams and individuals
concerned with the product
	2.	act as a central data repository and management tool for
all key product information both pre and post product release.

What functions are required of the system?

The process
	*	The system will prompt users to input information at key
stages in the process.  At each stage different groups of users will be
required to enter data and/or upload documents.
	*	The system will identify accountable and responsible
persons for each stage in the process.
	*	A limited (less than 6) set of stages will need to be
user-defined for each product passing through the process, the system
will need to suggest default stages common to most projects.  In
addition to these stages there are 7 mandatory stages that all products
must pass through.
	*	The data that is inputted to the system will need to be
visible and available to user groups based on their permissions.
	*	As part of the development process there is a
requirement for external developers to input data into the system which
will need to be verified by a Ufi employee.
	*	A course can be one of four different types, each will
have a differing development process.

Course Tracking Reports
	*	Users must be able to produce their own reports based on
sets of courses and the stages that the courses are at in the
development process.
	*	Previously run tracking reports can be saved for future
use without having to enter the criteria again.
	*	Tracking reports can be downloaded in a format that can
be read by MS Excel.

Alerting
	*	Users will be able to subscribe themselves to email
alerts which are triggered by certain system events that will include:
			o	Certain courses moving on a stage in the
process
			o	Changes of data relating to products
Qualitfications
	*	The system will be able to capture the relationship
between qualifications and learndirect products
	*	Qualifications and their associated assessments and
units will be inputted into the system will need to be associated to
products at the unit level

Searching
	*	Users will be able to perform a free-text search for a
course.  The user will be able to specify which fields they want to
search on.

Data exporting
	*	Ufi has a number of systems that will require exports of
some of the data that will be held in CK2.  The system will be able to
generate these exports in an XML format.

Administration
	*	There will be an administration role where users, user
groups and their permissions can be defined.
	*	The administrator role will be able to define data sets
that are used elsewhere in the system.