[Zope] Could I build this application with zope?

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Thu Nov 27 11:53:56 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 06:25, John Hobson wrote:
> Thanks to those who gave useful replies to my earlier post.  I am still
> looking into using zope for my project.  It looks like the CMF could
> provide a number of the features that I am looking for and that a number
> of others would have to be custom developed.  Is it a realitively
> straight-forward process to develop custom functionality?

Yes... but it's even easier to use what others have already developed.
Extend Zope all you want, but make sure you're not reinventing the
wheel... unless you *want* a new wheel.  :-)

> Follows is a brief synopsis of the functionality that I am looking for,
> for this project, I would appreciate if anyone could take a quick look
> and let me know if zope may be suitable.

I didn't do any detailed analysis, but on first glance, yes.

Not only that, more of this solution may be available off-the-shelf than
you realize.  Take a long, careful look at Plone and Archetypes before
you go messing with CMF yourself.  I'd bet Plone already does 90% of
what you want and Archetypes can pick up most of the rest.

HTH,

Dylan