[Zope] Zope var/ data.fs mamimum storage of content

Gabriel Genellina gagenellina at softlab.com.ar
Thu Nov 27 13:15:42 EST 2003

At 27/11/2003 10:53, you wrote:

>I have bought the Zope Bible by Michael R . Bernstein and Collegues and
>eventhough its slightly outdated I still cant:

Try the Zope Book:
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/view

>1) determine the maximum total size of var/ directory .

You should estimate the size of each object and add them up. Remember that
a new version of the object is stored each time it is modified and commited
(packing the database removes old versions). You can use pickle to estimate
sizes.
That is, for the objects that users can create; dtml's, page templates,
scripts etc. that you have already created make the current 10MB of Data.fs

>2) Is the below the default number of Zope Instance I can have running at
>the same time.
>
>I my z2.py file
>
># The size of the thread pool, if ZODB3 is used.
>NUMBER_OF_THREADS=4
>
>Does this mean I can only hace 4 instances <4 content authors users
>simultaneously using Zope>.
>Thus can this be increased to the total number of Zope Content Authors and
>Myself as Admin.

No, you can have many more simultaneous users. Don't worry about this. If
you really have a high-load site you could play with this setting and
pool_size (search the list archives for more info).

>3) What is the ( LFS )I assume its stands for Local FileStorage plz
>confirm and how can
>determin if my File Storage exceed 2G
>4) How to verify my python and libc have built - in LFS support

LFS = Large File Support
Python 2.2 includes this automatically if the platform supports it. For
Python 2.1 it must be enabled explicitely. To check if it works for you,
locate and execute test_largefile.py

>My Database Location is /usr/local/bin/zope/Zope-2.6.1-linux2-x86/var/Data.fs
>
>My Database Size 10.6 M

Unless you expect things to explode, I would not worry about it reaching 2GB.

>I will upgrade to Zope 2.6.2 after Xmas as I have a live Zope Site running
>with Apache 1.3
>and I have recieved the zdaemon SIGXFSZ error twice but cant trap the
>problem So to date I have just make daily backups > using the export#
>to my development serever and thus re-install and place the bb.zexp file
>into Zope's import folder and when Zope is up import as neccessary I know
>this crude but is works while I try and figure this problem out .

Did your Data.fs file really grew up to 2GB? Being currently at 10MB?
Maybe it's another file related to your application. Or you need to pack
more often...

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

PS: I think that 2K of signature is really too much...