[Zope] Is HTTP_MANAGE EnvVar only in Plone? and -w mapping

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Fri Nov 28 11:02:24 EST 2003

Hello,

I see that the HTTP_MANAGE Environment Variable is "passed in to
Zope" during Plone initialization but I do not see it mentioned in
the Zope Book "Installing and Starting Zope" list of flags and
variables.

Is HTTP_MANAGE "official?"

In Plone it directs it to the standard Zope default page, which seems
a stretch of the metaphor, given "/manage".

On OS X, the startup command appears to be expanded to:

/Applications/Plone/Python/bin/python /Applications/Plone/Zope/z2.py
-X -w 8500 -w 8585 -W 8586 -f -
INSTANCE_HOME=/Applications/Plone/Data HTTP_MANAGE=8585

8500 gives Plone
8585 gives Zope and I am not clear if the -w's are simply matched to
"INSTANCE_HOME" and "HTTP_MANAGE" according to their sequence, which
seems it could be error prone.

IF the case, could I add a thrid -w such as 8590?

Perhaps the issue at hand is, how do I map each directory to each -w
port declaration?

Thanks!

Michael.