[Zope] Zope evaluation questions

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Fri Oct 10 18:56:39 EDT 2003

>>>3. In terms of templating systems, do you find
>>>

>>yourselves using DTML or
>>

>>>ZPT?
>>>

>>DTML sucks. Use ZPT.
>>

> Why do you say this? I generally work on sites where
>its just me and no one else. For this purpose I find
>DTML much easier, quicker, and less verbose to use
>then ZPT. Of course, if we had a graphics designer
>that would be a different story. Or perhaps I am
>missing something about ZPT?

If, and only if,

 - you have no confusion at all about the DTML syntax or its processing
model

 - you're not working with a GUI HTML designer

 - you know exactly how the namespace stack works

 - you are very disciplined in keeping logic and presentation separate

you will be fine using DTML. I like to think I meet all those criterion,
and I had an investment in DTML already (it was for a time The
Templating Language in Zope) but I use ZPT almost exclusively now. (I
find ZPT cumbersome for non-XML-ish templating.) I find it cleaner, more
logical, and easier to read and write than DTML. ZPT does take a bit
more typing in general, but I consider it an investment against much
more work in the future.

             --jcc
       (explicit is good)

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."