[Zope] Newbie: How can index_html point at folder/index_html?

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Mon Oct 13 10:18:03 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 03:20, aa bb wrote:
> My website sits in a folder in the Zope root.
> How can I have the root?s index_html point at the folders index_html,
> so that a visitor addressing the root will automatically be
> "transferred" to the website?
> Various attempts with "var" have failed.
> Do I need a "virtual host monster"? I have only one website in the
> installation.

If you know for certain that you'll only have one website in this Zope
install ever, there's no great advantage to creating a "site root"
folder... just use the root.

On the other hand, if there's a decent chance you *might* be doing some
virtual hosting (or exposing different hosts within this one domain), a
VHM and/or Apache rewrite rule will do exactly what you want.  It's a
pretty good idea to run Apache anyway if this is a public web site.

It is *possible* to have an index_html object in the root that redirects
the user to your site root or one which renders and returns the site
root's index_html.  But then you have to deal with how to serve inner
pages, which will be a hassle.  Your two best options are to run VHM
and/or Apache or to put the objects where you want them served from.

HTH,

Dylan